Woodstown's Annual Scarecrow Contest
Congratulations to our 2012 Scarecrow Contest Winners!
Grand Prize - The Brody-Snyder Families "High School of Horrors"
First Place - Now and Then Consignment
Second Place - Oandasan and Cooper, PC "Jack in the Box"
Third Place (tie) - Fulton Bank and The Cuckoo's Nest
Honorable Mention (2) - Donna's Hallmark and Dancing with Patti
First Place - Shoemaker School Staff (STARS Scarecrow)
Second Place - Ashwood Community Girl Scouts "100 Years of Scouting"
Third Place - Friends Meeting
Honorable Mention (3) - Woodstown Rotary, Friends Home, and the YMCA of Salem County
First Place - Woodstown High School's Prints, Crafts, and Fibers Class (Art Teacher, Lori Raggio)
Second Place - Wil Carpenter, "Popeye the Scarecrow Man"
Third Place - Alloway Girl Scout Troop 93571 (Kim Smith)
Honorable Mention (2) - Devon Rogers, and Alloway Girl Scout Troop 94082
Individual / Family Category
First Place - Tim and Kathy Riley Family "Making A Friend"
Second Place - Laura Weber "Crow Olympics"
Third Place - McGowan Family
Honorable Mention (2) - Elaine Urion and the Brooks/Fogg/Wheaton Families
Most Original - Scarecrow Factory "50 Shades of Fall"
Harvest - Junior Woman's Club of Woodstown "Jersey Fresh"
Mayor's Choice - Ashwood Community Girl Scouts "Celebrating 100 Years of Scouting"
A very special thanks to our judges and the Fall Festival Committee!
Janice Ruge Johnson and Lorraine Pfeffer
Participate in a great Woodstown tradition and show your community spirit by entering the Woodstown Fall Festival Scarecrow Competition. All businesses, groups, and individuals are encouraged to decorate a scarecrow that will be displayed throughout Woodstown during the fall season. We have over 100 scarecrow frames for decorating each year.
Contact: Janice Ruge-Johnson (856) 769-9056
Scarecrow Competition and Display
September 27 through October 31
Use your imagination to select a theme for your scarecrow. You may choose a traditional, contemporary or humorous theme.
- Youth (17 years of age or younger, group or individual)
- Most Original
- Mayor's Choice
- Best of Show - $200
- First Prize - $100
- Second Prize - $50
- Third Prize - Gift
- Most Original - Gift
- Harvest - Gift
- Mayor's Choice - Gift
Judging will start at approx. 5pm on Friday, September 27, 2013.
Creating Your Scarecrow
Guidelines, Suggestions and Requirements
- Use your most creative ideas within the bounds of acceptable public display (no sexuality or profanity). Remember, this is a community celebration. The goal is to generate goodwill and a festive atmosphere. Political, profane and overly graphic displays are not permitted. The festival committee will remove any scarecrow deemed offensive.
- Secure scarecrow frames to assigned lamppost with zip ties provided by the scarecrow committee. You are responsible for getting your creation to the correct post before 5PM sharp on Friday, September 28. The earliest you may set up your scarecrow is the Thursday before the festival. Judging will start at 5PM the Friday before the festival.
- Please construct your scarecrow for durability. We do not want your hard work blowing around town or wilting after the first rain. You may want to use chicken wire, corn husks and stalks, straw, rubber foam and other lasting products that will hold their shape after repeated wind and rain. Your scarecrow will be on display from the Friday night before the festival through October 31.
- All accessories must be securely attached to the scarecrow/post. Please make sure that accessories do not extend in such a way as to be hazardous to pedestrians or parked cars.
- DO NOT alter the scarecrow frame (they will be reused annually), but you may attach items to the frame as part of your creation.
- After October 31, creators must remove their decorations and stuffing. Please leave the frame attached to the lamppost as it will be removed and stored by members of the committee. The committee will dispose of any materials remaining on the scarecrow frame the first Saturday in November.
Need ideas? Check out our photo gallery on Facebook.
2013 Woodstown Fall Festival
Saturday, September 28, 2013 10AM-4PM
Woodstown Pilesgrove School Foundation
5k Run for Education 8AM at Marlton Park
Fall Festival: 10AM-4PM; Rain or Shine
Vendor/Crafter Setup 8AM
We are now accepting applications for crafters and vendors. Apply online.
Thank you to our generous sponsors for supporting this website. Please remember to support our shop local intiative by shopping at businesses in Salem County!